Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The Question is the Question

I just had an absurd thought. If I can endure this life until it's natural end, will there be a bonus given at the end of it? Will they feed me steak and recount all my good deeds in a splendidly nice, ceremonial way? Or will they just issue me a room number, hand me a key and tell me to check myself into eternity without bothering anyone?

I told you this was absurd, but with all great absurdities of the human era, some great things have spawned from them. One only has to look at the monumental pyramids of the world to tell that man's quest for the irrational often leads him to sanity. I just referenced the great pyramids. They were built because someone was insane, but the greatest structures in all of human history resulted. Another case in point, the Space Program. Someone was absurd enough to look up, notice the moon shining above in a ridiculous fashion and then dreamed how nice it would be to go visit there and bring back some rocks. Now we have the iPhone as a result.

Here is my new theory of human evolution and achievement juxtaposed with his mental state. Depression leads to wild imaginings which leads to absurd thoughts which lead to massive undertakings which lead to unlikely achievement. Did Ben Franklin fly a kite in a thunderstorm because he was sane? Did the Wright Brothers build a massive paper airplane and then risk death due to logic? Did Columbus hop aboard a wooden Spanish boat due to reasoning?

What is my point? If you made it this far down through this micro essay, you are searching for answers. Answers aren't the point. The question is the question. That is the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment